About the Society
The Bytown Railway Society is a volunteer, non-profit organization
incorporated under federal government statute to promote an interest in
railways and railway history, Charitable Registration Number: 118822261RR0001. The society was founded in 1969 and today its
activities include its twice-monthly meetings, the publication of a
magazine for members and subscribers (Branchline) and the restoration and operation of a number of pieces of historic railway equipment located at the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa.
The Bytown Railway Society (BRS) has had a long history of active
participation in the rail scene in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec
from running excursions to providing the service crews for the Canada
Science and Technology Museum's operation of ex-CP steam locomotive 1201
and today, their Shay locomotive. The Society has produced over 30
publications and continues this activity with some recent highly praised
publications plus its flagship book "Canadian Trackside Guide" ®.
Find out more about the Bytown Railway Society's activities and how you can subscribe to Branchline, by reviewing the information on the BRS site.
Society a key Partner in supporting the 2014 Ottawa Train Expo d'Ottawa
The society is pleased to announce we are a key sponsor in this event. For more information about the event, please visit Ottawa Train Expo d'Ottawa
NOW SHIPPING Canadian Trackside Guide 2014 ®
Edited by Earl Roberts & David Stremes
- 5½” x 8½”, Soft cover, 736 pages
- Locomotives of Canadian National Railway (including Illinois Central), Canadian Pacific Railway, VIA Rail Canada, Regional and Shortline Railways, plus all Industrial locomotives; Urban Rail Transit; Passenger Cars; Cabooses, Work Service Cars and other Non-revenue Equipment
- Preserved Canadian Locomotives and Equipment
- VIA and Excursion train schedules
- Subdivision details for all railways: station names, mileposts, radio frequencies, talking detector locations, divisional maps, detailed maps of major rail centres
- Railway Reporting Marks
- Freight Train Numbers
The only comprehensive guide to Canadian railways, including US based operations.
Please visit our Sales Desk page to order your copy.
Our tribute to Duncan has temporarily been moved to here until we can provide a suitable recognition website page.
You Can Now Subscribe to Branchline Online
Subscribers to Branchline can now renew their subscriptions online using PayPal.
Page last updated: March 3,2014.